This quilt was one of the designs by Marie Webster published in Ladies’ Home Journal in January 1912. Following the publication of these designs, readers overwhelmed Ladies’ Home Journal and Marie Webster with requests for patterns. Webster first enlisted the help of her family for drafting patterns and cutting templates. In the early 1920s, she collaborated with two friends to create the Practical Patchwork Company.
Webster receives credit for introducing the original and innovative designs incorporating soft colors, sinuous curves, central-medallion layouts that directed the new aesthetic of early 20th-century quilt design.